Anyone who reads my blogs, or more specifically my recipes, is probably very aware of the fact that I shop at Trader Joe’s… A LOT! Although this article is quite long (I read long articles in the newspaper, but online, I find them a bit difficult) it is very informative.
There is one comment (towards the end) about Trader Joe’s not being good for a family because they don’t sell baby food. That’s not quite right. In fact I buy most of my food for Milan at Trader Joe’s. Always have. BUT I make the majority of it myself.
It is true, there are not any baby food jars there. But here are some Trader Joe’s shortcuts or ready made food for babies:
- pear sauce
- organic apple sauce – they even have them in snack cup sizes
- Squash cut into cubes in a bag. Just plop that in a steamer or microwave and blend with some water. So quick, so easy.
- Joe’s O’s – The Trader Joe’s version of cheerios, just a little healthier
Here are current foods that I purchase from Trader Joe’s for my baby:
- Bananas – simply the easiest food to feed your baby
- A “Fig” Walks Into a Bar – cereal bars that both my husband and my toddler eat all the time
- Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Grapes and just about any other fruit
- Teriyaki tofu
- Those little pita pockets – I fill them with just about anything
- All of his smoothie items: Whole grain or almond milk, almond or peanut butter, organic yogurt, dried dates (I just put them in some water the night before to soften them up)
- Organic Milk – they have some of the best prices around when it comes to organic dairy products
For the most part, I feed Milan whatever we’re eating and not prepared foods. We started doing that as soon as we could. I used to change my meal plans to things that he could eat.