I’ve been working on a good chicken Cacciatore recipe for the crock pot for some time and by George, I’ve finally done it!
- 3 lbs chicken on the bone
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 8-10 oz crimini mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves garlic (smashed or pressed)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tbsp salt (less if you’re watching your salt intake)
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 tbsp capers (drained)
- ¼ cup dry white wine (optional)
Put onions and bell peppers in the crock pot first. I used a mix of red and yellow bell peppers (I keep them on hand in the freezer), but green would work, too. Then the chicken. You might want to pull the skin off, personally I leave it on so that it adds some more flavor. Spread the garlic and mushrooms over the chicken. Mix the remaining ingredients together then pour over the chicken and mushrooms.
Cook on high 4+ hours, low 7+ hours.
Take the lid off, stir and keep the lid off for 15-20 minutes before you’re ready to eat to let the sauce thicken up. I did this while I was cooking the pasta. Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.